How to Apply
The May 1 enrollment deadline for fall 2013 freshmen has passed. Please call us at 812-855-0661 if you have questions about applying.
Updated information for students applying for fall 2014 will be coming soon!
- Online application. Our online application is easy to use and secure, and it gives you immediate confirmation that we’ve received your application. You can also download and complete the Freshman Application for Admission (PDF). Students interested in the Jacobs School of Music and applying with the IU PDF application will need to contact the Jacobs Admissions Office by phone at 812-855-7998 to receive instructions on how to submit music-specific information.
- $55 application fee. If you apply online, you must pay the fee by credit card. If you submit the paper application, you can include a check or money order. Students applying for the Jacobs School of Music will need to pay a total of $135 for their application fee.
- High school transcript. We must receive a current, official transcript directly from your high school. Please make sure that your senior schedule is included on your transcript or that your counselor lists your courses in progress on the Counselor Signature Form or the Electronic Secondary School Report.
- SAT/ACT scores. SAT and/or ACT scores with the writing component are required for the admission process. IU Bloomington considers only official test scores sent directly from the testing agencies. We encourage students to take both tests, to test early and often, and to submit all test scores to increase their chances for admission and scholarship consideration. Our SAT code is 1324 and our ACT code is 1210. Test scores and all other application materials must be submitted online or postmarked by November 1 for students to be considered for Automatic Academic and Selective Scholarships.
- Completed counselor section with counselor's signature. Print the Counselor Signature Form (PDF) and take it to your counselor. We also accept the Electronic Secondary School Report (ESSR) in lieu of the Counselor Signature Form, and electronic high school transcripts if your school prefers these methods of communication.
All application materials must be submitted online or postmarked by November 1 for Automatic Academic Scholarship and Selective Scholarship consideration. Please note that the Wells Scholarship has an earlier deadline. For more information about IU scholarships, eligibility requirements, and deadlines, visit the Office of Scholarships website. If you are applying to the Jacobs School of Music, please review additional application procedures here.
We know that when you really want to go a college, it feels like you’re waiting months for that acceptance letter instead of weeks. But at IU, the wait is for a good reason: we receive thousands of applications per year, and we want to review all of them—including yours—carefully.
So please bear with us. We practice rolling admission, which means we’ll review your application as soon as we receive all of your supporting documents, beginning in early fall of your senior year. You can expect to hear whether you’ve been accepted to IU four to eight weeks after we receive all of your application materials.
In the meantime, you can check your admission status online.